From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:29:15 -0700
On 8/9/07, Link, Gary M. <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am looking for statistics on the effects that implementing an RIM
> program has on the percentage reduction in records creation, either in
> general or case studies. Has anyone ever seen such statistics?
>
> So far I have:
>
> - searched the list archives
> - Googled "records management statistics" (which provided of course the
> "theimpros" page)
> - gone to the ARMA web page (where there are no RIM statistics of any
> kind)
>
> I am only interested in statistics that have a source citation.

Gary-

I'll venture a guess that you won't find any such statistics, and if you do,
they will be so "compartmentalized" to an industry segment, or a specific
organization, that there will be no public source citations to support them.

I  had to read your question a couple of times to understand it, and I think
it's kind of an "apples and oranges" thing.  An RIM Program won't likely
result in producing/creating/generating fewer records, but it will likely
reduce the number of COPIES being manged as "records" by an organization.

One of the largest problems with "volume" of what is typically managed is
the misclassification of reference copies as records by individuals in an
organization, especially in those that operate paper-intense systems.  There
are similarities found in electronic based system, especially those that
aren't supported by an ERMS that declares "records" and eliminates the
storage of multiple copies (aside from earlier versions, which aren't
copies) by users.

Once an organization generates a policy that clearly identifies which
version is a record and that all other "copies" are NOT records, and then
trains their staff to manage information on that basis, there is typically a
serious reduction in the volume of information being retained.

This happens as a result of performing a business process analysis,
determining "who does what and what happens to it", and further evaluating
"who uses it and how",  then establishing systems to improve on how it's all
managed.

Larry
--
Larry Medina