From:
"Jones, Virginia" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:55:44 -0400
Brenda:
We were unable to get retention event-based triggers established in our
new SAP/CIS system so (keeping in mind my non-techy understanding of how
SAP works) we redefined the "trigger" and redefined "record". For
example, we have a three year after termination retention for water
customer "customer information" records (name, address, SSN, phone,
financial info, etc.)  Under the old mainframe system, we "archived" the
terminated customers at the end of the year they terminated based on
water shutoff date, and maintained the archive for the additional three
years. All the customer info was stored as a record under the customer
account number.

Under the new SAP system, the existing software functionality is too
complex to configure (note I did not say customize) to "read" each
customer shutoff date and apply the retention to all that customer's
info as a record in itself for annual archiving.  Because SAP is an
object based data system (i.e. each group of data becomes an "object"
such as "customer" or "bill" or "payment transaction" by combining data
from various tables via metadata configuration), we can no longer just
pull the "customer info" for a particular account from the system.

We then redefined "record" in our schedule by listing object names as
record series. We also changed the trigger to "final payment" date
(defined as when the account balance is $0) and keep the "records" in
the active database for the three year retention.  We then archive to a
holding server and delete at the next scheduled deletion (usually about
6 months after archiving).  This allows other "references" to pieces of
the customer data in the various tables to be "unlinked" as the $0
balance is obtained.

Ginny Jones
(Virginia A. Jones, CRM, FAI)
Records Manager