From:
Robert Kleppen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 11:59:23 -0700
Carolyn,

My thoughts...I have a different view on backup tapes. (I'd be curious
to hear form others). I view backup media as the ESI storage location,
similar to a box, room, or building associated with paper records.

During the records inventory and schedule development I identify the
location of each records series during its life. In the schedule, the
media and location of the record series are noted in the and used to
determine the existent of additional copies for retention purposes.

IT typically 'backup' data based on location and format. This is
typically an issue when applying a retention and disposition plan
because the backups contain many unrelated records.

Pro-active IT staffs will engage the RM team to help organization and
sort the record into buckets that can be isolated to specific media
sets. This process however has its own set of difficulties because a
single series may be present in several physical locations that make
it hard to implement with the backup system.

Of all the clients I have dealt with, I have never run into a RM team
that was responsible for the backup rotation schedules (maybe others
on the ListSrv have).

There are two very distinct set of objectives between the two
departments and integrating RM into DR strategy I believe would cause
some unnecessary complications.

I do believe it is the responsibility of the RM team to pass
requirements (RM policy, inventory, schedule,etc) for records handling
to the IT department and it is there responsibility to develop and
operate systems that adhere to those guidelines and polices.

As far as the new FRCP...I don't see how any of the changes would
affect this decision.

Robert

--
Robert Kleppen