From:
Robert Kleppen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Aug 2007 13:14:09 -0700
I agree with you that records located on backup media are not (or
shouldn't be) the official record and the 'storage location' for the
official record wouldn't note the backup media.  What I was attempting
to highlight is that this media is a 'storage location' for copies of
those records. The records schedule should reflect the existence of
these locations in addition to where the official record resides.

I guess some may not see this as a part of their records schedule but
I have found this will greatly increase an organizations ability to
reconcile the records for destruction.

Simplistic Example: Official record A is stored in X location for 6 years.
Copy of record A is stored on backup media for 7 years. < oops!

Robert

--
Robert Kleppen
Big Imperative - Consultant