From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:25:25 -0700

>  I was party to someone's dispute over a decision made by our office
> and as I had made notes about meetings or visits related to the dispute my
> records were responsive to a subpoena issued to our department, and I had
> turn over copies of the related pages (with non-work related items
> redacted).

For this reason, I've never commingled my appointments with my work
calendar.  All my personal entries are kept independently, and the only
cross references are for appointments that will impact my work schedule, and
it simply says "Personal Mtg" and the time.  Similarly, in my personal
calendar I have "Meeting" and the time for known mandatory work meetings so
I don't have any conflicts that I schedule over.

As Ginny notes, official notes/minutes, of meetings are the record, while
> the notes/doodles of other participants are not.  When I went on to become
> real RM/Archivist for the same locality - In VA where Ginny is located -
> this was our policy/rule.

Yeah, funny you'd mention doodles.... there was a case in the 9 0s here in
CA where a manager of a firm had a calendar subpoenaed and on the page where
he had a meeting scheduled regarding a dismissal meeting with an employee,
he had drawn a plane crashing and burning up adjacent to the person's name
and this was called into question in the case =)

NARA has particular rules on retention of notes/schedules, etc. and they are
> different depending on the level of the employee.  Directors' and
> high-level
> officials' materials have longer retention requirements than the rest of
> the
> organizations' employees.

They sure do, and the retention period for these individuals is PERMANENT!
And the way the langiuage is written, it applies to individuals holding
similar position levels in Contractor organizations if their work is
Federally funded.

It may be important to keep in mind that this ALSO applies to electronic
calendars, and it's necessary to periodically download or print the content
from these, because most companies only maintain these on line for a fixed
period, then they purge them.

Larry
--
Larry Medina