From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 12:37:08 -0700

>  Discovery produces records proving the company did
> said scummy deed.  Had company followed existing retention policy they
> wouldn't have been caught because the records would have already been
> purged."  So how many have avoided getting caught in illegal activities
> because they *did* follow their retention policy?  Me, I find this
> aspect of our profession a little disturbing.

Interesting perspective, but a well-researched and properly applied
retention schedule isa big part of wha t records management is about, right?

You find the regulations, statutes, laws that exist to establish minimum
required retention periods, evaluate to determine if there are business
needs that may exceed those, and then determine what (if any) benefits
and/or risks there are to retaining  the records beyond the required
periods.

SOMEONE  (generally a combination of management and legal) make the final
decision, and set the retention period to be followed, and RIM takes it's
direction from this decision.

I find willful spoliation disturbing, but I don't find following polices and
procedures too disturbing.

Larry
--
Larry Medina