From:
Albin Wagner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Aug 2007 12:21:48 -0400
Graham,
Thanks for the speedy reply.

Per Ginny's message, apparently the ARMA and AIIM Glossaries do not
define these terms. The SAA Glossary has the following definition:

SAA 460(2005), "A Glossary of Archival and Records Terminology"

Electronic Record
(Also digital record; automated record, largely obsolete), n. ~ Data or
information that has been captured and fixed for storage and
manipulation in an automated system and that requires the use of the
system to render it intelligible by a person.

Note: 'Electronic records' can encompass both analog and digital
information formats, although the term principally connotes information
stored in digital computer systems. 'Electronic records' most often
refers to records created in electronic format (born digital) but is
sometimes used to describe scans of records in other formats (reborn
digital or born analog). Electronic records are often analogous to paper
records; email to letters, word processing files to reports and other
documents. Electronic records often have more complex forms, such as
databases and geographic information systems.

Thank you for your help,
--Albin

Albin Wagner
Deputy Director for Records Management
New Jersey Division of Archives and Records Management
2300 Stuyvesant Ave.
Trenton, NJ 08618
phone: 609-530-3204
fax: 609-530-6121