From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:10:35 -0700
I don't think we have any RHIA/RHIT folks here (or other AHIMA members), but
I thought I recalled when IM tried to do this in Southern CA a few years
ago, the State stepped in because of some obscure requirement on records of
cancer patients needing to be retained for an extended period of time, due
to either ongoing clinical research related to the medications they had been
given, or propagation pattern research for family members.

???  Does anyone else remember this  ???

Larry

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/cityregion/s_527367.html

It's the last call for those seeking medical records from the defunct St.
Francis Health System.

All remaining medical records -- several thousand cubic feet of documents --
will be destroyed beginning Oct. 15, said Michelle Mahoney, spokeswoman for
Iron Mountain Inc. Requests for release of records must be received at the
records management company's South Side office by Oct. 12.

St. Francis ceased operations in 2002, two years after closing its central
hospital near Mellon Arena. St. Francis Medical Center in Lawrenceville is
the site of the under-construction Children's Hospital, while St. Francis
Cranberry is now UPMC Passavant Cranberry.

Among the records to be destroyed:

• General medical records from 1996 through 2002;

• Pediatric files from 1982 through 2002;

• Radiology films from 1997 through 2000;

• Mammograms, bone scans and cardiology X-rays from 1997 through 2002.

Those seeking medical records must submit a written authorization, which may
be found online <http://www.ironmountain.com/records/release> or by calling
412-481-4134. Cost is $25 per request.

Requests and payments should be sent to: Iron Mountain, 1739 E. Carson St.,
Suite 362, Pittsburgh, PA 15203. Authorizations for release must be
postmarked by Oct. 8.

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA