From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:31:25 -0700
On 9/17/07, Trudy M Phillips <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> In Alabama the law is for adults, 7 yrs after last visit and pediatric
> patient, until age 21 plus 3 yrs. And on any medical records, 3 yrs
> after  death.

So in this case, how would a storage vendor know if the patients the records
were being stored for were dead or alive, or when they died?

And how would they know what records belonged to pediatric patients, and
when they reached majority age unless the birth date was on each
file/x-ray/whatever and they looked at each one?

Many radiologists and oncology physicians keep cancer patient xrays until
> the after death date so they can go back and look at procedures that
> occured at
> early diagnosis and thru the progression or reoccurrence when the cancer
> was
> supposedly in remission.  Those I have spoken with on this just feel it is
> good medical practice. And it can be useful in the teaching hospital
> environment.

I agree, but I guess if it isn't in the law, then they would have to follow
posted statutes

Larry

--
Larry Medina