From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Sep 2007 10:37:21 -0700

We use Excel as well. I have a column for the Hold Code (a sequential
3-letter code, e.g. AAA, AAB, AAC ...) which is pre-entered for at least
3000 rows. When new case comes in the paralegal just enters the info
into the next available line. The other columns are the date the hold
was instituted, the matter name, the company division where the suit was
brought, the project name, a brief description (e.g. Plaintiff alleges
foundation cracks, defects in shower/tub, and stucco), and a settlement
date.

There's an auto filter on the division column so we can easily select
just the holds for a division, copy and paste them into a fresh
spreadsheet to send to that division if they ask -- and they do! I've
also added a bit of conditional formatting so that when a settlement
date is entered, the whole line grays out so it's easy to see the active
cases.

The settlement date is in Col G. So the conditional format for all cells
is =NOT(ISBLANK($G1)) and the format is set to grey, strikethrough text.
The grey is for onscreen viewing, but laser printers don't print grey,
so I added the strikethrough as well.

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes