From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:43:00 -0400
I have read several books that were thrillers that had little
incidents where the twist had a records management component.

For example in Ginny's post about documenting destruction, suppose
you set up a company by sending boxes for destruction but what was in
those boxes was something else, and the RM helped the real records
survive.  Now you and your duplicitous partner sue your corporation,
they claim the records were destroyed. You alter the Chain of Custody.

I know a records managers testimony on the accuracy of Batch Records
saved a big Pharm $80 million.  That is powerful.  She got a raise.

But low and behold, in our case above the records turn up at the last
minute and the plaintiff moves for summary judgement on the basis you
suppressed or hid the information.

Data Mapping requires you to know what you have and where you have
it.  A while back a company I know told a judge they did not have
something but it turned out that they were given a destruction
certificate but the documents lived on.  (Who knows what was
shredded??)  This almost caused a mistrial when things were almost
buttoned up.  Imagine the legal expenses of a second trial?

But to see your value, what damage could you inflict if that was your
goal.  No fair submitting burning down the entire records center.
Someone is already the King of that "Been there and done that."

IT can put a virus in or leave a back door in the software.  But what
can a records manager do that would make it into a spy novel.

Or is IT such a redundant coverage of the records that the RM would
have a hard time making records disappear.  But certainly you could
be complicit in competitive data gathering or sabotage. But almost
anybody could do that.  Just ask Dupont.

If you want a raise, then you need to analyze what it is you
safeguard against or what you could do.? For example, law firms are
really slacker on litigation materials, if you went in with the
cleaning crew the week before a trial you could walk out with
everything.  They just keep it in closets?  Does that make sense?
The whole case gone.  What would the judge do?  In Prudential they
gave them 30 days and the stuff came back one way or the other after
a couple of records center fires as I recall.

But can a RM really be bad?  This could be three beers talk in
Baltimore if we ever get a Listserve Party resolved.

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. Banc Technic Inc. dba FIRELOCK shall not be liable for the
improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. FIRELOCK does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference.