From:
"John J. O'Brien" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 01:08:37 -0400
Greetings, Pilar.

The challenge, should your friend choose to accept it, is to tap into the
potential student base in ways that can advances their opportunities and
offer a niche position for the university.

Through a long career in this field, I have observed that a great deal of
the education is focused on practice that draws on theory and management but
teaches for file room and/or technical placement. Conversely, the emphasis
on theory may be so great that the students do not acquire a practical
grasp.  This is a conundrum, because this domain demands an understanding of
a lot of rather fundamental "stuff" placed in the context of organisational
outcomes. In my view, to advance the field, it needs teaching from the
perspective of organsational outcomes, strategy and management and the
target audience is very broad.  Strategic liaison with IM, IT, OD, HR, MBA
and similar programs is warranted.

For reference, I have taught related classes at the University of Victoria
and Camosun College, Canada, developed curriculum for the Hong Kong
Polytechnical University and am a Part-time Lecturer at the Hong Kong
University. Was a government rep in British Columbia on an Office Careers
Advisory Council, have hired many (many) people from diverse backgrounds
into the field.  My experience is both archival and records maangement, I
have been both on the union side and in management, and hold the view that
there will come a day when the top post in any organisation will be
considered unqualified if that person does not have a grasp of recorded
information management issues.  We need programs that build in this direction.

Regards,
John

John James O'Brien, CRM, MALT