From:
Bill Roach <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 09:53:27 -0500
Greetings all,

Just a quick question that will hopefully start a discussion.

I have been giving a great deal of thought about how we could possibly get a
hold on the growth of storage within organizations.  I have read or heard
dozens of suggestions but never a discussion of this one:

Are we increasing the volume of uncontrolled storage by placing storage
limits on employee email boxes?

My thoughts are this, we typically place storage limits on employee mail
boxes in the hope that they will go in on a regular basis and discard
outdated, unnecessary emails and attachments and store those of records
value in an alternative location.  I have long questioned whether this is a
correct assumption.  What I have experienced and seen have convinced me that
it may be a lofty wish but the reality has exactly the opposite effect.
What I have seen is that employees run as close to the edge as possible and
still function.  When they go over, they find the biggest sized emails and
store the email and attachment off the radar on the desktop or shared
drive.  Sometimes, a printed copy is made and stashed away so if Justin ever
needs one it will be available.

The result is the storage of multiple, duplicate copies in a wide variety of
locations.  The disparate storage locations, methods and naming make
managing the the information very difficult.  While tools do exist to find
duplicate files, none that I am aware of can find all of the possible
locations.

All of which leads to my follow-up question:

Would we be better off removing the storage limits on employee mailboxes and
using the functionality of the Exchange Server to manage the volume until
the information is either deleted or moved to the appropriate content
repository?

Any thoughts?

Bill R