From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 10:24:04 -0700
Exchange has its limits - so there really is no such thing as an unlimited email box. Not utilizing an archiving facility will simply choke your serviers. So if you think your system is slow now, just wait. You can always buy more servers but you'll still have the base issue of how to management your email.

That said, I think there are several good email archiving products available on the market. If you have access to the Gartner Group's reports or something similar you can see who they rate and why.

I do not have time to write a detailed message about messages, but suffice it to say that it is my belief that email management is not performed at the email server level. Proper management is done through an archive (and yes I understand what the word archive means so don't get ansy). PST files are not and never will be proper archiving. Start working with exchange version 5.5 and older PSTs and you'll know what I mean.

I also do not believe that email management is to be performed by the end user. We receive too many messages. Most of my clients here will receive over 100 a day. And yes they are not all records but they can document actions. Work in enough litigations and you'll understand what I mean.

I believe we need to look at our expectations regarding email & records. This may not be a popular belief, but it is mine. I said it before, but never written it down and never declared it in public.

Wishing you all the best on a lovely almost fall Seattle day. I am still not wearing socks - fall doesn't start until Sunday.

Rock on!
SharonSharon Burnett Seattle Washington USA "If it ain't broke, take it apart and see why. If it is broke, take it apartand see why."
List archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/recmgmt-l.html