From:
Frank Guerino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Sep 2007 22:11:05 -0400
Hello Earl,

This is a great question for two reasons.  1) We are doing just that, and 2)
we get to use the answers to your question as solid requirements for what
we¹re doing.  So, thank you for asking it.

I can say that our path is to build the ultimate Electronic Library
(eLibrary), not the ultimate Records Management system.  The reason is that
³Records Management², to us, is really just a small subset of features that
are layered into how our customers manage ³Data², ³Information², and
³Knowledge².

1: We started with building a solid Data, Information, and Knowledge
Management platform, where "everything" in the system is an independent and
auditable record.

* This included a powerful data model that represents the enterprise
* It then included putting ³real tools & technologies² around each
functional domain in the data model (this means that Records Managers that
care about Project Management Records can easily track and manage them, just
as easily as Records Managers that care about Document Management Records,
etc.)

2: We predefined and pre-populated the system with volumes of meta-data:

* Ontologies
* Taxonomies
* Entity Definitions
* Attribute Definitions
* Relationship Definitions
* Etc.

The reason for this is we find that most enterprises we walk in are all
trying to do this in some way, shape or form.  Usually, we find that they¹re
just trying to model the same metadata that other enterprises are modeling,
so we standardized as much of it as we could and we commercialized it.

3: We built in a data integration framework.  This includes things like:

* XML integrators/connectors because we realized that there is no one
solution that covers everything, however, customers/users do want to see
their data, all in one place
* A correlation engine that allows correlation of data from any one
functional domain to data records in any other functional domain
* Various data backplanes for appropriate internal transfer of data between
functional domains

4: We then layered in pre-built Business Intelligence solutions, because
users want to see, understand and exploit their data.  This includes things
like:

* Metrics generators
* Dashboards
* Complex Visualizations (Multi-dimensional graphs, trees, charts, etc.)
* AdHoc Reporting
* Pre-Defined Fixed Reports
* Etc.

5: What¹s being built in, right now, is the ability to set Records
Management Policies for independent records and/or bulk record sets.

* Storage Retention Policies
* Storage Procedures
* Destruction Policies
* Destruction Procedures
* Work Auditing
* Etc.

Unfortunately, there¹s way too much to cover but if you¹re interested in
seeing some of what we¹ve done, you can take a look at the user interface
at: http://www.TraverseIT.com/TraverseITUIHome.html or the whole platform
(right from the home page).

Anyhow, I hope this helps and I certainly look forward to others¹ answers.

My Best,

FG

--
Frank Guerino, CEO