From:
John Lovejoy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2007 08:53:17 +1000
Graham

The conversions that Xena does are only as good as the conversion tools
we use. For example, we use OpenOffice.org to convert proprietary format
office documents to Open Document Format documents. It does a pretty
good job, but sometimes the formatting of the output document will be
slightly off.  Early on in our thinking we realised that we would not be
able to ensure that we could preserve an absolutely identical copy of
the original, but we endeavour to capture the 'essence' of the
documents.  See
http://www.naa.gov.au/records-management/publications/Approach-to-digita
l-preservation.aspx for a lot more information on what we are trying to
achieve.

We have a fairly comprehensive Quality Assurance stage in our digital
archive, so documents that are totally messed up will be flagged for
further action. We also keep the original document, so we can do the
conversion again if and when the conversion tools are updated.

Hope this helps.

John Lovejoy
Digital Preservation
National Archives of Australia