From:
John Guthrie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Sep 2007 16:53:30 -0700
Good afternoon all,
I am looking for information concerning naming conventions, or best
practices concerning the identification of architectural and engineering
drawings. In the past (roughly 1888 - 2006), our City used an
alphanumeric system consisting of a letter designation followed by a
hyphen and a sequential number for each drawing, whether individual or
in a set.
For example, a single drawing for a grading plan would be G-12345, a set
of ten drawings would consist of G-12345 to G-12354. When we scan we
also have a variety of other fields that are indexed as well that can be
used for retrieval.
Our City Engineer is looking at various ways of identifying drawings he
feels would be more efficient in regards to retrieval of the scanned
image. His concern is to minimize the amount of searching required if
the total number of drawings in the set is unknown, and to reduce the
amount of time necessary to locate individual drawings. His thought is
to have one project name or number identify all associated drawings so
all are retrieved in one result set, or possibly as a multi-page
document, then use the page-of-pages field or similar field to move to
the desired page. I have some concern changing to a multi-page form of
drawing set as well as creating the linkage to the GIS for the correct
page, and how many fields would be necessary to create that linkage.
I would appreciate reading about other numbering systems in use, how
efficient they have been, and any issues dealing with linkage to the GIS
or other problems.

Thanks in advance for any information.

John Guthrie CDIA+
City Clerk Records Manager