From:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Janie Wait <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Sep 2007 00:53:23 -0600
Hi Ann,

You can do your own "professional guesstimate" using my fool proof system. I
have guaranteed my production volume estimates within 10% for almost 25
years - successfully!

Just measure how many images (not documents) are within a *standing inch for
each record series, where you will find a lot of variation, then measure the
total linear inches on the shelves and multiply it out. Standing refers to
the compression of the records on the shelf.

I.e. Shelf = 42 inches - only 38 inches as the records stand on the shelf -
you have to leave room for handling, right? - most accurate when you sample
large volumes several times to get a good average. Huge differences over
historical time periods based on the type of paper used - from onion skin to
ledger - so watch for those types of breaks in each record series as well!

FYI - take particular care to look for the change in preparation
requirements - older records may not use staples as we know them, some have
locking ACCO fasteners in tri-fold folders and some may not be able to be
separated, because they are riveted together, without damage to the
originals. This is critical for several reasons - one is that it dictates
the type of scanning equipment that you must use, slows your production
process down to a crawl and blows the labor budget hugely.

The more consistency you find, the least cost you can anticipate. If you
have a huge variation in the type of records you need scanned you are
probably better off contracting with a service bureau for the backlog and
consider an electronic records management program for the future.

I have these estimating guidelines published on my web site under "Self-help
. Good luck and let me know if these suggestions help!

Janie Wait, CRM, MBA
President
Director of Marketing
Intermountain Record Center, Inc