From:
"A.S.E. Fairfax" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:24:25 -0700
Hi Greg,

I am one who does, but in very minor amounts.  Sometimes a sample of a
building material or structural component is submitted to Island County as
part of a contract bid for a facility, which then becomes part of the final
contract award.  Because of such long retention periods in connection with
public works projects, these contracts and their components have a very long
life span.  In addition, Exhibits/evidence from open criminal cases that are
considered ongoing are part of the picture here, if there is no statute of
limitations that applies, we need to keep them.  Beyond that, we have soil
samples and other natural samples connected with our State Agricultural
College extension office.  Every county in every state will have some level
of this type of record.

I handle it as I would any other part of an archival collection that doesn't
fit the major portion of the record.  I remove the incongruous items to more
appropriate storage, and annotate the main record that it has been removed,
and to where. It gets an accession sub-number as a separate series, so that
it can be tracked as part of the whole.

Elizabeth Fairfax
Island County Records and Information Services.