From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 12:22:05 -0500
I didn't add to this thread last week but have some thoughts to add now
because I just got the following notification ("IMERGE InSight
Newsletter - Eductation Edition - October 2007") regarding the AIIM
certification classes.  Note to Imerge - check spelling before
sending!!)

Differences between ERM and CRM

Cost
The CRM certification costs only $750 total ($100 for the application
and $650 for parts 1 - 6 unless someone has to retake exams.  I can see
it might get more expensive - but the cost differential does seem to be
a huge difference. If I understand correctly, the only way to get the
ERM certification is by attending the classes and then successfully
completing the exams.  Since the price tag for the ERM classes is @
$2800, that pretty much prices some people out of the market.

Experience
Another big difference is that one must prove some professional
experience in certain areas germane to the practice of records
management in order to take the CRM examinations.  I think the only
prerequisite for the ERM certification is to take the classes AND pass
the exam.  Never having had the funding to take the classes, I don't
know if there are additional opportunities to retake if one doesn't pass
the first time or what that cost might be.  Looking at the curriculum,
it does appear that the courses are very comprehensive and I do believe
there would be value in attending - but to me, the two certifications
are not comparable in what they purpose to represent.

Depth of knowledge
The AIIM certification signifies successful mastery of information
covered in a class.  The CRM certifies "on the job" experience, a
certain education level, and the ability to pass a multi part exam
created by experts peers in the field and does require that one stay
current in order to continue to be certified.

Although I have an IT background, I read about and frequently attend
seminars related to electronic records management as well as work on
making inroads in the organizations where I work.

Solutions are still being defined and refined as the experiences of
organizations who took early leadership, the technologies necessary to
bring full implementation, and the huge change management effort all
continue to provide new insight.

Therefore, every person in our profession, regardless of certification,
should use every possible means to develop knowledge and expertise as
well as experience.  I believe the CRM does represent that model.

Mary Hilliard, CRM
These are my opinions only.