From:
"McAdam, Pilar C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2007 11:12:14 -0700
<Differences between ERM and CRM - Cost
The CRM certification costs only $750 total ($100 for the application
and $650 for parts 1 - 6 unless someone has to retake exams.  I can see
it might get more expensive - but the cost differential does seem to be
a huge difference. If I understand correctly, the only way to get the
ERM certification is by attending the classes and then successfully
completing the exams.  Since the price tag for the ERM classes is @
$2800, that pretty much prices some people out of the market.>

-------

I'm one of those who've gotten both the CRM and the ERMM in the past
couple of years.  My views on the values of each:

-CRM: Absolutely critical for future career growth.  I agree that it's
also a MUCH better measure of RIM expertise than the ERMM (certainly
it's not perfect ... PLEASE don't use this statement as an excuse to
start another thread about the CRM's inadequacy to measure what's really
important).  From the time I originally applied until I finally passed
Part 6 (on the 3rd try), took me more than two years.  I paid everything
out of my own pocket, but I knew how important that CRM would be for any
upcoming job searches.  Just read RIM job postings to see that nearly
all say something like "CRM Preferred".

-ERMM: Not comparable to the CRM.  There's no pre-qualification for
attendees to have done any RIM work prior to taking the classes.  Very
good information, though, particularly for those of us not fortunate
enough to have been able to implement ERM applications at our companies.
In my opinion, IMERGE and AIIM are using the certifications as a
strategy to charge more for the courses.  Is that a bad thing?  Well, I
think it has helped market the courses, and may have helped to justify
forecasted expenditures when establishing annual training budgets.  Is
it worth the $2,800 price tag?  If I'd had to pay it out of my own
pocket, I'd never have been able to do it.  However, my company did pay
for it, and I've referred back to the course materials often since
completing it in 2006.  Also, for those not aware of this, the ERMM
certification is not awarded upon course completion.  Attendees must
successfully complete both a multiple-choice exam and a case study based
on information covered in the course.  They're not nearly as exhaustive
as the CRM exams, but they do try to assure that the course concepts
were grasped.

Pilar C. McAdam, CRM/ERMM
Records and Information Management
Shared Services Group