From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 09:36:16 -0700

> One problem I am experiencing involves the high rate of data entry
> errors.

Have you attempted to analyze what  is causing the errors?  There has to  be
some factor/factors causing this, especially if the errors are repetitive in
nature. It's possible that there is a need for training the staff to reduce
the errors.

Although I know there is software available that automates the data entry
> process (which we are looking into at this time),

Make sure when evaluating software that you find THAT error rate acceptable
as well.  Depending on the nature of the source documents, you may find that
there will still be errors and a need to "train and tweak" the software to
avoid this.

I am interested in any information others could share regarding a
> productivity matrix or formula.  Essentially I am looking for the scanning
> volume vs. error ratios, what percentage is and is not acceptable.  For
> example, if __ # of images are scanned then __ to __ # of data entry errors
> are acceptable and __ to __ # of data entry errors are unacceptable.  Does
> this information exist?

I'm sure there is SOMETHING that exists, but depending on the nature of the
information you're working with, YOU will have to set a threshold as to what
is acceptable to both you AND more importantly, your users. If the errors
are resulting in an inability to locate information when requested, and the
ability to produce that information is critical to the users, I'm sure a
rate of ZERO is what they would find acceptable.

If what happens is a manual search is required to attempt to locate records
that are in the system but improperly indexed, then you should determine the
amount of time per occurrence, the frequency of occurrences, and the cost to
eventually locate the information and re-index the records once they are
located.  Evaluate the total of these expenses (including the lost
productivity time from people NOT being able to do their normal work) and
then determine what every mistaken entry is ACTUALLY costing you.

It's possible that by front-loading  QC into the data entry process, you
will spend less money and catch the errors before they go into production.

But hey.... you're in Las Vegas, right?  Everything is a gamble there... and
I'm sure you  can find someone that will give you odds on the frequency of
errors occurring =)

Larry

--
Larry Medina