From:
"Allen, Doug" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Oct 2007 15:30:07 -0500
Jennifer,

There are some tools that can help automate data entry.  However,
depending on what your attempting to automate, error rates won't
necessarily be reduced.  Among the ways in which data entry errors can
be reduced are:

(1) minimize manual data entry, and couple a single field that has been
entered with a check against any existing database - that database may
contain the other indexing fields you want to use
(2) use of patch codes - typically a useful way to sort document types,
but not necessarily a way to provide detailed indexing of documents
(3)  use of bar codes - typically the use of bar code sheets or the use
of bar codes ON those forms that you print, and thus control, can help
greatly.
(4) "zonal OCR" - where you have information that appears in the same
location quite often.....and where you are not focused on hand-writing,
etc.
(5) ICR - more problematic from the standpoint of generating rejects,
especially if any of your information is coming from the general
public....
(6) More Advanced automated indexing software tools that employ
"learning engines" - I'd rate these as being in their infancy right now
- If what you scan falls into a pattern of sorts, it can reduce the data
entry burden, but requires significant oversight and a significant time
period for "learning".  These tools are now being used for the capture
of Accounts Payable records in some areas, and for the capture of Land
Records - I'd recommend that you take a look at what Clark County is
doing now in the Recorder's office.

Overall, I'd recommend a very disciplined approach to indexing, focusing
on minimizing your data entry task.  I hope that helps a bit!

Douglas P. Allen, CRM, CDIA+