From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 10:57:00 -0700
Lijuan, one approach that has consistently worked for me is to look at
my duties and responsibilities as services, and the employees of my
organization as my customer base. I then look at what service has the
most potential to impact the largest amount of customers at the lowest
costs and with the least hassle, and which also can be measured. I then
focus on providing and measuring that service. In my experience, success
in one service will tend to get your customers into the system, thereby
leading to demand for other services. An example might be a successful
off-site storage service leading to demand for more retention scheduling
services, in order to better control the growing volume in off-site
storage.

The importance of impacting a lot of customers initially is that it gets
your name out there among a lot of people (and potential allies). One of
the ways I did this early in my career in the county was by managing the
county's copy machine contract, and, in doing so, improving service and
creating measurable dollar savings. It got my name out to a lot of
customers (since just about every office had a copy machine), which
opened doors to other records management services.

You may already be providing such services - think of how you can
measure them in a manner that shows progress. Rick is right that good
metrics are critical. Talking to your customers is another good
approach. I did a tour of the county when I first came here - one of the
impacts that had was the realization that a lot of my customers worked
in high stress social services environments which required keeping our
approach simple and easy to use. What do your customers need?

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741