From:
Mimi Dionne <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:02:57 -0700
Hi RIMserv,

  I'm curious as to how many start up, one-person shops get through the development phase of a RRS--I can't imagine it's easy to create one from scratch, especially if there isn't much support for the RIM department anyway (I mean, isn't that the message from management if they do not give you any staff?  Feel free to correct me if you think I'm wrong...).

  If your department is not in a financial position to give the RRS over to a deserving law firm/consultant to complete, then wouldn't you end up working on the RRS only?  1.5 years is a long time to accomplish one thing--I've only revised RRSs and that took four months.  Of course, the contrary argument is if you take on more responsibilities but you still need to finish the RRS, you can combine the discussion points for inventory interviews with other initiatives (for example, roles in the face of business continuity plans).

  Personally, I can't imagine such a job where I'm the lone gunman... wouldn't you choose to create only the RRS because that's the only project you could take on and finish with a flourish?  However, maybe there are more of us "lone arrangers" (as the archivists like to say) than I'm aware of.  Now, THAT'S a statistic I'd like to see.

Mimi Dionne, CRM, CDIA+, CA
Records Manager
Cheniere Energy, Inc.
717 Texas Avenue