From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 09:38:48 -0700

> When I discuss the disposition of electronic records, people are
> surprised and often concerned that by simply deleting an electronic file
> it is not truly destroyed, but still discoverable. This type of software
> would be very useful for that purpose, but I can also see it as being
> very dangerous for people to be able to obliterate files, especially in
> the world of drag and drop. I am interested in anyone's opinion of this
> issue or use of this or similar software.

Of concern with the use of this type of "file deleting software" is that an
organization have clearly stated policies on when it is to be used, and by
whom.  Improper or unauthorized complete erasure of files can be potentially
seen as spoliation, especially if (as Gerry properly reminds us) all copies,
backups, archived content, etc. is not also deleted.   If during a discovery
action the information is not found in it's likely location, but can be
found elsewhere, it raises a large question as to what ELSE was deleted when
and who had the authority to do it?

I think there are numerous cases in which complete deletion of electronic
content is appropriate, but ensuring that policies and practices exist so
it's done appropriately is very important.

Larry
--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA