From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Oct 2007 08:22:43 -0700
> Does anyone know of a checklist, template or guide that a start up
> department can use to assist in identification of retained records.
> Specifically, the Department name is Customer Service Financial Control,
> and they are still in the planning stage.  To date we have identified
> one of their main responsibilities: doing financial reporting for Energy
> Delivery

Seeing as every organization does things a bit differently and the name of
this department indicates it serves a very specific purpose, I doubt you'll
find any examples that will work. The typical starting point is to interview
individuals working in the department and ascertain the following:

- What documents do you generate (titles, types, content, reports from
databases, etc.)
- Who are they distributed to (internal or external)
- How are they generated (physical or electronic)
- Do you retain copies (and how are they retained)

- What documents do you receive (titles, types, content)
- Who do they come from (internal or external sources)
- How are they received (physical or electronic)
- What are they used for (what purpose do they serve)
- What do you generally do with them (scan, file, discard)

This will usually identify the "universe of records" the department is
involved with, establish the originator, and the purpose of the record.

From that point, you can determine required retention periods, if the
document is simply a copy or the actual record, and assist them in
developing a file plan for the records.

Larry
--
Larry Medina