From:
Sharon Burnett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 13:30:28 -0700
When someone leaves here we archive their email box and also their personal share. We've learned the hard way to look at laptops and/or hard drives before wiping and re-deploying.

Most paper records and notebooks are filed in the department file system so they are with the appropriate function or project. Managers have the responsibility of working with their exiting employee to determine and direct what materials go what direction.

We, like you all, have learned the hard way what can happen when someone leaves and their records are left in those boxes labeled "John's stuff." I think I spent the first 2 years here digging through John's stuff...and my old boss would ask me why I was doing all that indexing of all that old stuff. And I would explain that if we're gonna apply retention we need to know what these items are and what about litigation holds...and the fight went on...and on. He left. I stayed. I wonder who won...??

Rock on!
Sharon (Who has tickets to see Sonny Landreth and is very happy)Sharon Burnett Seattle Washington USA "If it ain't broke, take it apart and see why. If it is broke, take it apartand see why."
List archives at http://lists.ufl.edu/archives/recmgmt-l.html