From:
Tod Chernikoff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2007 16:24:48 -0400
Larry/Sean:

180 days rings a bell with me in this area, as that is what NARA shows as a retention period GRS 23-7:
7.    Transitory Files.

Records of short-term (180 days or less) interest, including in electronic form (e.g., e-mail messages), which have minimal or no documentary or evidential value.

http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/ardor/grs23.html<http://www.archives.gov/records-mgmt/ardor/grs23.html> for details and additional descriptions.  I also think it is interesting to not that they call them "Files" and not records, even though the first work in the description is "records".

Although many think that non-records should not be reflected in records schedules, I remember working at the EPA and there being a records series 008 - Technical/Reference Materials, that has not been expanded and renames "Nonrecords" http://www.epa.gov/records/policy/schedule/sched/008.htm<http://www.epa.gov/records/policy/schedule/sched/008.htm>

Tod Chernikoff, CRM