From:
"Hilliard, Mary" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2007 09:03:11 -0500
Melissa,
Thanks for starting such an inspiring thread.
"Does anyone have any ideas for something that would engage, represent
record management core deliverables and add a bit of fun to a very dry
subject?"

I had been thinking a lot about the power of leadership after the week
of tremendous learning and inspiration at the ARMA Conference.  My
post-conference trip was to Richmond, Virginia and the battlefield at
Petersburg where the underdog Confederate troops held their ground
against all odds for months.  Despite the eventual outcome (which was so
fortuitous for our country), there are tremendous lessons to learn from
our history in terms of the value of leadership.  Great men on both
sides inspired people to do unthinkable things to secure the desired
outcomes.

Records Management is not war.....thank heavens, but the value of
tapping into our beliefs in what we do and communicating that
unflinchingly to others to motivate them towards the desired outcome is
one of the core competencies enunciated in the new document published by
ARMA and launched at the conference.

"Domain: Leadership Level 1
Leadership: This domain pertains to the knowledge and skills necessary
to motivate groups of people
toward the achievement of the RIM program goals within the context of
the organization's overall goals.
Effective leaders must positively influence others by using leadership
skills such as guiding, motivating, and
mentoring; and interpersonal skills such as empathy and sensitivity."

John, Stephanie and others who posted replies have made their passion
and interest in what we do evident in their words.  All of us need to
tap into this reservoir of pride and enthusiasm and use that to help
with the HUGE efforts of motivating the changes that are necessary for
our organizations in response to the paradigm changes of the last 10
years in how we conduct business.

Thanks to all who have inspired me by openly declaring Records
Management to be a great profession (Susan Cisco....you are being called
out! - but there are many others).  When you write or speak from your
hearts and with your wisdom, it inspires me and I hope I can, in turn,
inspire those in the organizations I serve.

What a great start to my day!!!

Mary Hilliard, CRM