From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Oct 2007 22:07:47 -0400
Thank you Taina, and Larry, Kitty, Rod, Robert, Peter, Mimi and
Doug.  Bill my copy of your post came across in medieval Russian I
believe.  Why that happens I will never know.

This is one of those times where I really find the Listserv like no
other form of camaraderie.

This proves my point.  In one session, every major records center
fire was mentioned.  Or was it??

No! No! This is not a trick question..........

almost trapped in the Iron Mountain London records center fire  (I
have read the transcript of the London Fire Brigade and it included
interviews from fire fighters)  referred to a fire on Gillender
Street where several fire fighters were killed.  Was that the Hays
Brunswick fire??

The sad thing is that in fire fighters language these records center
fires are a commodity fire. If the sprinkler system and fire walls
cannot stop the fire, why should a fire fighter risk his life for
records that are considered as next to useless??  I agree.  It is up
to the records manager to protect what must be protected.

I think that the lowering of the quality of records center warehouse
fire protection is becoming a part of the sale pitch in the EMC, IBM,
Seagate (Evault) VMWare and other electronic storage companies on why
paper storage is passe. They would also argue that tape storage is
also moving this way. Virtual Records, Virtual Tape, Virtual Servers
and electronic storage are helping the growth of the shredding industry.

I find it ironic that the companies that fought the fire protection
standards on compartmentation, in rack sprinklers and then changes in
the sprinkler code to make records warehouses safer are now seeing
boxes move off their shelves heading to the shredder while the
electronic records industry is growing at a tremendous pace.  Tape
storage is growing at a faster pace than ever.  But these guys also
need to be on top of evaulting and server vaulting.  Technology is
moving so fast now.

Or am I just getting older??

Why just the other day I was looking at a TV and it had a remote
control.  Now that is clever.  You don't even have to get up off the
couch.  (This last part was for my wife.  She has made me to TV, what
the Amish are to farming.  Its embarrassing I tell you. The neighbor
kids come in to show their friends my TV that is in a wood cabinet.
You would think I carved it out of a stump??)

Magnavox Luddite Hugh

(Now Larry don't tell me Magnavox no longer makes TV's!! )

Hugh Smith
FIRELOCK Fireproof Modular Vaults
(610)  756-4440    Fax (610)  756-4134
WWW.FIRELOCK.COM

privileged. If you have received it by mistake please notify the
sender by return e-mail and delete this message from your system. Any
unauthorized use or dissemination of this message in whole or in part
is strictly prohibited. Please note that e-mails are susceptible to
change. Banc Technic Inc. dba FIRELOCK shall not be liable for the
improper or incomplete transmission of the information contained in
this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to your
system. FIRELOCK does not guarantee that the integrity of this
communication has been maintained nor that this communication is free
of viruses, interceptions or interference.