From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Oct 2007 13:32:52 -0400
On Oct 21, 2007, at 12:01 AM, RECMGMT-L automatic digest system wrote:

Peter's RAIN Posting:

> Schwarzenegger Kills Stringent Data-Protection Bill
>
> The bill would have barred merchants from storing even encrypted
> payment
> information without a data-retention and -disposal policy, and
> prohibited sending ...    <http://www.itbusinessedge.com/blogs/hdw/?
> p=1034>

There is definitely a trend at the Federal and State level to develop
a method to punish those who lose data. This is clearly a case of the
government trying to involve itself in something that should be left
to a free market decision.

Punishing a small insurance company, or travel agency or a community
hospital, or a University that loses information, when that loss may
occur due their offsite storage vendor losing the tape, or a break
in; or, a dishonest employee will do nothing to fix the problem.

The largest of the offsite records storage companies have created a
lobbying arm that is spending millions in Washington to make sure
they specifically are not accountable in these new laws.  This group
of companies is ironically named "Association of Information
Protection" or is it the "Information Protection Association"  (???)
and they seek to make sure that the cost for lost data or data
breaches does not come home to roost for them. Therefore the end
result is that the government will seek to punish 500 to 1,000
companies who are not in the big headlines for the actions of the
ones who actually were the newsmakers.

It will be the smaller offsite storage companies, who are NOT in the
news repeatedly for losing tapes, that will see their insurance costs
go up with no relation to their security and efficiency. Forget money
and gold, the world has come to realize that information is the most
precious asset.  With it the money and gold follow.

So Arnold was totally right in trying to prevent government
interference in this case.  But if the free market does not act to
punish those who repeatedly lose data then the government will not be
able to contain itself. If RM's and IT Managers act to select their
vendors on performance, then this would fix itself.

The line from a popular movie on the TV Industry that went "I am mad
as Hell, and I am not going to take it anymore!!" rings in my mind on
this issue.  Maybe one day the RM's will rise up and strike the
Hostage Fees clause from their contracts.  Maybe one day they will
put in a "Service Level Agreement" (SLA) that simply states ........
"these failures constitute breach of contract and the client has the
ability to seek a responsive vendor by notification of such breach."

If RM's and IT Managers act responsibly, then the Government doesn't
need laws which will surely increase the cost of offsite records
storage for everyone.

Hugh Smith