From:
Don Saklad <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Nov 2007 12:52:31 -0500
            http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2007/11/18/a_storied_legacy_of_learning/
          > It is our duty as citizens of the Commonwealth to ensure that these
          > ideals do not disappear. The BPL has been there for us for the last
          > 150 years. We must support it so that it may continue to support
          > us. It must maintain its place among the other preeminent cultural
          > gems in Boston that serve to entertain, educate, and inspire us.

There is something hypocrital here in that study at the Dean's school
is too expensive and too lacking in students' financial support for
pursuing careers in our cities' public libraries.

We need library studies programs setup at the University of
Massachusetts that are on a par with the excellence of information
policy programs at schools like at State University of New York
University at Albany http://albany.edu/cci

A teaching library approach to library studies on site at our Boston
Public Library is needed just as medical centers are teaching hospitals.

Greater emphasis on information policy studies for our cities' public
libraries' professionals is needed.

Too many of our current cities' public libraries' professionals are
unprepared to fully examine all facets of debates about the
problematical aspects of the software for
our cities' public libraries.