From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jan 2008 09:28:13 -0800
On Jan 22, 2008 7:40 AM, Heather Nord <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am new to this list and I have a question about file retention
> policies and law firms. I currently work for a law firm in northern
> Minnesota. I was asked to do some research on file retention/destruction
> policies for files and was wondering where to start and what I should be
> looking for. I am not sure how long we are supposed to keep certian
> client files or if there were any other issues that should be taken into
> consideration. I can find examples of file retention polices on the
> Internet that have to deal with law firms but was wonering if there was
> any thing else I should be looking into as well. I thought that this
> list would be a good place to start for ideas of where to look for
> information. If anyone has any ideas or a place to start please reply to
> me off list.

Gary Link cited a great information source for you.

It will be important to ensure when you speak of "classes of
files/information" that the terms used are clear to others.

In many cases "client files" refers to a firm's files related to handling
matters for a client, and in other cases, it actually refers to the Client's
Files, those sets of information that were used to represent a client and
typically were provided by that client for the firm to use.   The latter set
of information is generally thought to be either "work product" related to a
case, or materials that actually BELONG TO the client.  These files should
be either held by the firm for a specified period of time that is determined
jointly by the firm and client, or they should be returned to the client for
their handling.  If there are subsequent related matters the firm will be
handling for the client, the firm may want to retain them, but someone has
to make a decision WHO PAYS for their storage, and for how long.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA