From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 08:30:22 -0500
On Jan 22, 2008 11:11 PM, Jesse Wilkins <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 2. Not asking whether the CRM is a certification - I believe it is.

good you had me worried there for a moment.  would hate think that it wasn't
a certification. Your endorsement is important

> I was
> addressing the point that "some certifications are more equal than
> others."
> If that is the case, I think the gold standard should be whether the
> program
> is accredited by ANSI under ISO 17024. CA, CRM, CDIA+, CIPP, all are
> certifications but don't meet that most rigorous level

I guess you can add the AICPA to that list that doesn't meet the "gold
standard" of ISO 17024. I'm sure a lot of CPAs are in real trouble since
their certification doesn't meet the 'gold standard'

> 6. If organizations look for AIIM certificates in addition to, or instead
> of, the CRM, that raises a whole host of issues that have little to do
> with
> AIIM's program and much to do with the number of CRMs, the marketing of
> the
> program, the perception of its currency, etc. It says to me that the
> market
> wants trained people who know electronic records and that the market
> perceives value in the AIIM courses.

I have no problem if employers who  are seeking employees who have taken the
various AIIM courses, BUT the way the adverts are worded they in their minds
are equating the AIIM certificates to the CRM designation. And yes I
recognize that that is their problem for not understanding the difference,
but I suspect it has been conflated to some extent by the use of the
certificate initials in the same manner as the CRM designation.

Can you provide us with some background information about the development of
the ISO 17024 standard, who was leading the development? and from the
material I've found online i'm not as sure as you are about the disconnect
between training and certification.

--
Peter Kurilecz CRM CA
Richmond, Va