From:
"Narver, Christie" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jan 2008 09:59:35 -0800
Steve -
	At a firm I previously worked for the practice was to purge all indexing of files destroyed per retention, we kept the disposition paperwork in the Risk Management (RM) file. The only notation was "File destroyed per retention [date]".  If the files were returned to the client or sent to new counsel we kept the index and set the disposition to permanently removed.
	At my current firm we are just beginning the retention process and will keep the indexing of purged material and set the disposition to destroyed or permanently removed.  Disposition paperwork will be kept in the Risk Management file.  We also use a category system in our RM software (LegalKEY) to denote, client file, firm file, released material, etc.
	FYI - both firms have RM files containing the new client/matter input forms, engagement letters, conflict checks, any waiver letters, settlement documents, special billing arrangements and any changes to the client information [new address, telephone #, contacts, etc.], and finally the disposition of the files.  At this time, the RM files are kept indefinitely.

Christie Narver, CRM
Records Manager
Rutan & Tucker, LLP