From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 09:08:58 -0800
I think it was Nolene who mentioned the power of acronyms in a previous
posting. In my neck of the woods (the Pacific Northwest), the use of RIM
began at the same time that the subject of the Pacific Rim as the area
holding the worlds "economies of the future" was a hot topic. I think
there was an almost subconscious link between the two.

IMHO, the key noun is "Records", which is really the focus that
distinguishes our profession from others. "Information" has become
incredibly mushy (kind of like adding "e-" in front of everything). In
reality, a more appropriate acronym might be REM - Records and Evidence
Management - since this appears to be the focus that many in the
profession promote. You could even come up with catchy slogans: "You'll
sleep well at night knowing your REM team is on the job". Heck, you
could even use REM songs as your theme - catchy with lots of cool hooks,
and a lead singer who mumbles his lyrics so you can re-interpret them
however you want into records management themes: Let's put our heads
together/And start a new system up/Fathers fathers fathers tried/We got
to work and soon complied.... (from "Cuyahoga"). Well, you get the
idea....

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS) - our division will never reorganize because then we would lose
the cool acronym
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741