From:
Larry Medina <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:26:23 -0800
On Jan 25, 2008 10:10 AM, <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I am sure Peter will cover this in his forthcoming RAIN this weekend, but
> stumbled across this clip on CNN.com and thought I would share it with
> everyone on the list.  Enjoy...
>

> http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/crime/2008/01/24/pkg.disgruntled.employee.wtlv

Man, here's a case of "Who was REALLY to blame?"

As the officer being interviewed said, there's no defense like a good
offense!  I can' t believe an architectural firm (and I've had a number of
them as clients) would have all their information on a single server, and no
backups.  Generally, even the designers and drafters working for these firms
make regualr working backups of files they generate.  And at some point,
files have to be given to clients... common practice has always been to
generate an exact duplicate of anything you transfer to a client at the time
of transfer and store that, in the event they ask for it again.

Sure, the employee "did a bad, bad thing" (seeing as we're citing song
lyrics today, thank you, Chris Issak!) but there were no safeguards in place
to prevent it from happening.   What if they had been burglarized and
someone stole the server?  What if there had been a hurricane and it got
wiped out??

Today's "whoopsie!" award goes to Stephen E. Hutchins, Architects, Inc.

Larry

--
Larry Medina
Danville, CA