From:
Nolene Sherman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 11:38:08 -0800

At a previous employer, our building was a smallish, 1-story,
stand-alone structure that had many floor to ceiling windows. In many
offices, the desks and the computers on them were against those windows.
For several weeks, we would come in every Monday to find that one or two
windows were smashed and the burglar just reached in and grabbed
whatever computer equipment he/she could reach while standing outside.
It was like we were their personal CompUSA. The alarm would go off, but
they were gone within the 5 minutes or so it took the police to get
there. Toward the end they got bold and actually came into the building.
The company eventually put some sort of security film on the windows
that could not be torn .. it required a heavy duty knife and
considerable effort to get through (but they did try!). That finally put
an end to the break-ins. It was later determined that a friend of
someone who worked for the alarm company was the culprit -- thus knowing
exactly how long they had to get in and get out.

The first couple of times it happened the computer users lost
everything. Our network was only recently installed (this was a while
ago) and everyone was supposed to back up their own C: drives onto
floppies (which no one did). It was shortly after this incident that IT
got busy with having all data backed up automatically to the network on
a nightly basis.

Nolene Sherman | Director of Records Management | Standard Pacific Homes