From:
Charles Childress <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:00:14 -0500
Do we know that the devise was issued by the city? Was there and
expectation that the texts would be monitored for inappropriate
behavior, and is there a policy statement to that effect? Is there a
policy document from "SkyTel, the Mississippi-based company that
provided text devices to the city, confirmed the existence of messages
to the Free Press." that warns customers that their activity will be
monitored and will be released to any interested "party"? Without such
a policy and proof of notification to users about the policy, the City,
and SkyTel for that matter, may not have a "safe harbor" argument.