From:
"Jackson, Sandy" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 11:33:03 -0600
Greetings to the List!

MY INTRO:

I am new to the List, but not to RIM.  Currently, I provide RIM services
to Law Firms and small businesses in the Atlanta area as an Independent
Contractor/Consultant.  I've managed records and information for 20+
years for various industries: the U.S. Army and Air Force, Federal
Government, non-profit organizations, corporate businesses and a myriad
of small businesses.  Nuff said about me...

-----------------------
Now regarding the subject, here is a definition to which I refer to help
me in grasping the concept of Knowledge Management (KM):

"Unfortunately, there's no universal definition of KM, just as there's
no agreement as to what constitutes knowledge in the first place. For
this reason, it's best to think of KM in the broadest context.
Succinctly put, KM is the process through which organizations generate
value from their intellectual and knowledge-based assets. Most often,
generating value from such assets involves sharing them among employees,
departments and even with other companies in an effort to devise best
practices. It's important to note that the definition says nothing about
technology; while KM is often facilitated by IT, technology by itself is
not KM."
Source: CIO Magazine

Here is the link if you'd like to read more about it:

http://www.gdrc.org/kmgmt/what-is-km.html

Hope this helps!

Jackson Records Management Services
Sandy Jackson