From:
Sandra Dunkin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 12:20:17 -0800
Hello all,

My name is Sandra Dunkin and I work for a non-profit Community Organization
in British Columbia.  I am the records manager, librarian, and tech support
person.   I have been working here for almost 5 years now.  During my tenure
I have recruited two assistants with varying degrees of success.  My current
assistant has just offered her resignation, and I am therefore confronted
with the challenge of recruiting a new assistant.

I have searched the ARMA site, and can find no resources for employers
(appropriate interview questions, suggested skills based interview
assessment activities, etc.).  I am hoping to benefit from the wealth of
experience on this list, as I am sure many of you have done recruitment in
the past.

I found it difficult in the previous two recruitment  processes to
accurately and adequately assess personal suitability for the Records
Management Assistant position.  In the past I have always approached the
interview with some generic "get-to-know-you" questions, suitability for our
office (how would you handle ____ situation), personal employment history
inquiries etc..  I've also tried to incorporate an activity to assess the
level of attention to detail, comprehension of instructions, computer skills
and understanding of filing principles.  However, I feel that much of the
information I am harvesting from this process is superficial and not at all
indicative of the qualities required to actually do the job on a regular
basis.

Could any of you point me in the direction of interview techniques for
records management/filing positions?

Regards,
Sandra Dunkin