From:
WALLIS Dwight D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 16:21:48 -0800
Sandra, does your organization have a probationary review process? This
is a process where a new employee goes through a regular review for a
set period of time on performance. If that employee does not meet the
performance standards, they can be let go with less effort than needed
to dismiss a permanent employee.  Of course you can also accomplish this
with just a regular performance review based upon an agreed upon work
plan that documents performance expectations, and the employee's ability
to meet or not meet those expectations. I realize this can be difficult,
particularly in a small operation where you tend to develop a more
personal relationship with your staff. Nevertheless, its why
managers/supervisors get paid the big bucks (or bigger bucks than the
people working for you, all things being relative).

In my experience, while interview and application processes are
important, even the best designed ones are something of a gamble -
particularly with entry level positions. Unfortunately, the world has
plenty of convincing liars, along with good folks who don't have strong
interview skills, and everything in between. One silver lining: in my
experience, when the economy worsens, the quality of applicants for jobs
like this tends to improve, particularly if the position is entry level
or lower paid. Sad but true. Piece of advice - if you're not comfortable
with any of the applicants, start over again. I've had too many
instances in the past where I was forced to hire the lesser of many
evils for various reasons, only to regret it later on. As my ex-boss
used to say: "The hiring decision is the most important decision you
will make." We scrutinize every one, from top to bottom.

Dwight Wallis, CRM
Records Administrator
Multnomah County Fleet, Records, Electronics, Distribution and Stores
(FREDS)
1620 S.E. 190th Avenue
Portland, OR 97233
Phone: (503)988-3741