From:
Dana Yanaway <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2008 18:00:50 -0500
Hi Nucoon,

What a great topic. I have been doing a great deal of thinking about Records
Management as opposed to Information management or Knowledge Management.

As I see it, the world has greatly evolved beyond traditional RM and needs
to move into a much broader IM position. Our end users who we support are in
the "information age" or are being called "knowledge workers" because they
don't make physical products, instead the use, produce and respond to
information.

What needs to be managed is every bit (or byte) of information (or data) for
the entire length of its useful (or legislatively mandated) life. Whether
some one has officially declared something a record is not relevant to the
court of law enforcing the subpoena, nor is it relevant to the executive
officer screaming for the data on that spreadsheet which explains whatever
happened which will keep him or her out of hot water. The thing is
information and it needs to be managed.

It needs to be findable when it is being looked for, it needs to be stored
for as long as it is needed and it needs to be destroyed when it has met its
retention period.

It doesn't matter if that item is a paper document or an e-mail or a .wav
file in the VoIP system or an IM chat transcript or .....

It doesn't matter if that item is a final copy saved in final form in the DM
with records lock down preventing alteration, or if it is an E-mail that was
being drafted in Gmail and hasn't yet been sent (like what I am typing now)
If the person looses it and needs to find it again, we should be working on
systems to make that happen. (if we can.)

All of the above is distinguished from what I think of as traditional KM in
the following manner.

KM is managing a subset of all information. The knowledge which needs to be
managed in a KM system would generally be final work product which you hope
to reuse, or it is a system which manages Subject Matter Expertise (SME) on
various topics (that is, the system knows who, in the organization, is an
expert on something and when someone needs such an expert, the system can
direct you to that person.)

I see KM as a sub set of an enterprise wide RIM program as you are likely
also seeing. The question seems to be does the knowledge which is being
managed have to exist in hard copy, electronic, tangible form, or can the
knowledge reside solely in the heads of the individuals in the organization,
and if it is the latter, how do you manage that?

Random musings on a Friday evening after a long week. cool topic

What do others think?