From:
Sheryl Swyden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Feb 2008 13:58:28 -0600
Peter,
Thank you for cluing me in on listserve etiquette.  I started work at DST
in 1987 as operations manager in an underground storage facility owned and
built by DST Systems to store their own records and later opened it to the
public.  In 1996, DST sold the operation to Iron Mountain (IM) and
continued as operations manager for IM for two years.  I was rehired by
DST in 1998 and the new position of Records and Information Manager was
created.  At that time DST's offices were local in the Kansas City Area.
My main responsibilities were limited to facilitating off-site records
storage and retrievals.   Fast forwarding to 2008, DST has acquired
businesses in Eldorado Hills, Birmingham Al., Hartford Ct., to name a few.
 There are also offices in Bangkok, and London.  There has been one
addition to staff.

Like many of companies,  records policies and retention schedules weren't
priority until recently.  I am basically doing the preliminary work myself
with the assistance of an attorney.  My first step is to identify what we
have and where it's stored.  I have a good handle on all of the hard copy
records, magnetic tape, CD's, etc., it's the electronic records that are
more difficult.  I decided to survey our business units to find out where
they are storing information.  For example, Our HR department has payroll
records on Kronos, PeopleSoft, and AWD.  Of course we have email.  Once
I've identified all of the electronic and hardcopy records, I plan to
create a matrix.  The next step will be to write a business plan to
present to upper management and Legal to get their commitment to provide
some resources. I am a member of ARMA, so I have tapped those resources,
Executive Roundtable has provided a lot of good information, I've used
Google to look for survey forms, and the Listsrv archives.  The best I've
found so far is in the Executive Roundtable information.

About DST:
DST Systems, was founded in 1969 as a division of Kansas City Southern
Industries, DST was
established to develop an automated recordkeeping system for the mutual
fund
industry. DST has supported the industry’s continued growth and is the
largest
provider of third-party shareholder recordkeeping services in the United
States today.
Head quartered in Kansas City, Missouri, DST is a publicly traded company
on the New York Stock Exchange (Symbol: DST) that employs approximately
11,000 associates, both domestically and internationally.

DST Health Solutions provides BPO service, ASP solutions, IT outsourcing,
and enterprise software to support health plan, TPA, and physician
practice business operations.

If you would like to know more about DST Systems, please follow this link:
 http://dstsystems.com/

Thank you,

Sheryl S. Swyden
Records and Information Manager
DST Systems, Inc.
Tel. 1 +(816) 737-9719
Fax: 1+ (816) 737-4821
----- Forwarded by Sheryl S. Swyden/Exec/DST/US on 02/22/2008 12:46 PM
-----

"Peter Kurilecz" <[log in to unmask]>
02/22/2008 12:07 PM

cc

Subject
Private response was Re: [RM] Records Inventory Surveys

Welcome to the list Sheryl

As a new subscriber we generally ask that you introduce yourself to the
list. you've done a little bit here. but what would be helpful is to know
what type of industry DST Systems is? How long have you been in records
management, what is your level of experience, etc.

Also you might want to search the listserv archives for previous messages
that would fit what you are looking for.

also the other subscribers don' t mind helping, but we also like to know
what sort of research you've done. You can find examples of records
inventory forms on line via using Google. for example try this search
"records inventory form" .pdf  just copy and past into Google and see what
you get

also be sure to put your email address in your sigblockso that if you
folks want to email you directly they can.
peterk
listadmin
recmgmt-l

On Fri, Feb 22, 2008 at 12:44 PM, Sheryl Swyden <[log in to unmask]>