From:
Hugh Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2008 02:27:47 -0500
We are getting a little thin skinned here.  This was a comical comment.

I grew up Irish Catholic and we had a million jokes.  I just had
someone send
me some pre- St. Patrick' Day stuff and I didn't get mad.  My post
ended with a
whimsical comment about Quakers Oats posting my Mothers Chocolate Chip
recipe.  Yet no one thought to defend them?

Watching our secrets walk out the door should be cause for Treason
for the person
of any race who steals it, as well as the CEO of any company that
allows it to happen. Maybe then they care more about security than
stock options.

So I apologize to Ms. Wang in absentia and hope that she prosecutes this
foreign agent and any others that come against the U.S. and gives
them what they deserve.

Certainly the evidence they have accumulated should seal the deal.

> Investigators found a trove of other
> material allegedly stolen from Boeing in a "crawl space" under his
> home in Orange, she said.

> He then collected manuals on aircraft fatigue and design of the
> F-100 fighter, X-15 rocket plane and B-70 bomber, prosecutors allege.
>
> During the 2006 search of Chung's home, investigators found
> documents on the space shuttle's phased-array communications
> system, Boeing's heavy-lift Delta IV space booster and the Air
> Force's C-17 Globemaster III troop and cargo transport, according
> to court document.

I visited Boeing in Seattle years ago and they talked of how they
compartment all their secrets. How does anyone accumulate this much
data across so many platforms? Let us discuss how that records
management platform broke down?  How does one steal this many secrets
and no one at Boeing says "What does that guy have in his wheelbarrow?"

But I don't think Ben Franklin meant his quote in the way you
represent it Pat.

  "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little

If he did, Benedict Arnold would not live in infamy for trading a few
secrets to our enemies. He was then and is today the poster boy for
traitors throughout history. He and the rest of the leaders were
pretty quick to punish someone who used their liberty and trust to
inform our enemies. Believing that protecting our nation's vital
interests by caution and discretion is giving up Liberty is a
mistake.  Freedom has to be protected in so many ways. Pandora's
secrets once gone can never be put right.

> Corporations and nations are finding that it difficult, perhaps nearly
> impossible, to be certain that when a man or a woman is placed in a
> position of trust, he or she will not betray that trust.  That is a
> far
> more serious and unsettling issue.  The lack of personal integrity,
> the
> absence of allegiance to a set of core values, principles, or beliefs
> that a man or woman will not violate under any circumstances, seems to
> be endemic.

Our own industry has seen this time and again with the loss or theft
of computer tapes, as well as records put in storage with an
understanding of security.  Here one corporation betrays another.

So let us send all the betrayers with Anglo/European names like Ames,
Hansen, Walker, Pollard,  and don't forget Arnold;  and probably very
soon Mr. Chung to the same place. In the recent film Breach, one of
the points they made was to extrapolate treason out to dollars spent
to fix the loss, or; to develop even better technology.  Those funds
come right out of our schools, our health care and our retirement
funds.  I get chills thinking about what 5 spies can do; or 25
spies.  In fact it probably wouldn't take too many to bring down the
whole country.

If the one spy at Dupont can cost them $400 million in technology
losses.  Imagine the damage that so many thousands in our country,
that have no sense of personal integrity, do here each year.  Peter's
posts describe them each day and no one has chills.

But I apologize and as my punishment you may send me all the middle
aged white guy jokes you like because that seems to be the last
remaining ethnic group you can make a joke about.  Or are Irish
Catholic's still in play?

Hugh Smith