From:
Peter Kurilecz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:07:17 -0400
RAIN 20080314

Records and Archives In the News is a compilation of news stories related to
records and archives management.
How an information system helped nail Eliot Spitzer and a prostitution ring
<http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=8211&tag=nl.e550>   eWeek The Security Threat
in Your Pocket

*Researchers are clamoring that this is the year you must deal with mobile
security or get hit by phishing and malware attacks on the devices in your
employee's pocket.*
<http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Security/The-Security-Threat-in-Your-Pocket/>
  Islington
Council solves records headache with Alfresco
ComputerworldUK - UK
By Leo King Islington Council has implemented an open source digital
records management system from Alfresco that has dramatically cut the time
required to ...
<
http://www.computerworlduk.com/toolbox/open-source/applications/news/index.cfm?newsid=7982
>   Secrecy rules on records go 'too far,' some say [22 mins ago]
NewsOK.com (subscription) - Oklahoma City,OK,USA
"Having been in the court records management business nearly all my adult
life, I must with the greatest respect say this new rule goes too far. ...
<http://newsok.com/article/3215691/1205383499> Who Is Watching You At Work?
You might be surprised. A new survey finds that nearly
half of all U.S. companies are monitoring employees' use
of e-mail, the Internet and, gulp, blogs.
http://ct.enews.baselinemag.com/rd/cts?d=189-734-1-52-244000-75247-0-0-0-1
  Gov.
Blunt retaliates with e-mail request from Nixon
News-Leader.com - Springfield,MO,USA
Nixon appointed a three-person team last fall to look into whether Blunt's
office was violating the state's open-records law or document retention
policies ...
<
http://www.news-leader.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080313/NEWS01/803130387
>>   E-mail war escalates, as Blunt seeks Nixon's communications
St. Louis Post-Dispatch - MO, United States
Matt Blunt's staff fired off a lengthy open-records request for Attorney
General Jay Nixon's office communications. The Republican governor's
request seeks ...
<
http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/stories.nsf/missouristatenews/story/459D825D856061E78625740B001200BB?OpenDocument
>   Records Management Policy Could Have Spared White House ...
Business Wire (press release) - San Francisco,CA,USA
... place to manage those records; and, when a record - under their
policy - has outlived its usefulness, to delete and destroy those records
in all media. ...
<http://www.businesswire.com/news/google/20080313005412/en>

Nigeria: How Obasanjo Misled UNESCO Over Presidential Library ...
AllAfrica.com - Washington,USA
NOBEL laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, yesterday again took former President
Olusegun Obasanjo to the cleaners, alleging that he lied on the true status
of his ...
<http://allafrica.com/stories/200803130191.html>

Don't hit that delete button
The Star-Ledger - NJ.com - Newark,NJ,USA
In hindsight, it's apparent why some in the ill-fated McGreevey
administration would be inclined to destroy records. But this destruction
should not simply ...
<
http://blog.nj.com/njv_editorial_page/2008/03/dont_hit_that_delete_button.html

Harvard hacker exposes personal information of applicants, others
Boston Herald - United States
The remainder of the admissions data that was accessed did not involve
Social Security numbers, but Harvard said data from 500 students applying
for housing ...
<
http://news.bostonherald.com/business/technology/general/view.bg?articleid=1080025&srvc=home&position=also

Harvard grad students hit in computer intrusion
Computerworld - Framingham,MA,USA
About 6600 of them are being offered one year's worth of free credit
monitoring services because their Social Security numbers were also
compromised in the ...
<
http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9068221&intsrc=hm_list

Daily News to appeal $2000 charge for Troiano's e-mail
MetroWest Daily News - Framingham,MA,USA
... with the state after Town Manager Anthony Troiano estimated that a
public records request for a month's worth of his e-mails will cost more
than $2000. ...
<http://www.metrowestdailynews.com/news/x1747423119>

Council to retain control of archives
York Press - York,UK
By Press reporter CITY of York Council is to spend £30000 to try to ensure
the future of the city's archives. Members of the council's executive were
asked ...
<
http://www.yorkpress.co.uk/news/yorknews/display.var.2118438.0.council_to_retain_control_of_archives.php

Historic broadcasts come to life on CBC Digital Archives Website ...
Canada NewsWire (press release) - Toronto,Ontario,Canada
The award-winning CBC Digital Archives Website is the largest free
broadcast archive in Canada and one of the largest in the world. ...
<http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/March2008/13/c3731.html>

Deleting the record
Greensboro News Record - Greensboro,NC,USA
Was it the law's intent to allow Cultural Resources to provide prior
approval for document destruction? One thing is clear: The law strongly
supports saving ...
<
http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080314/NRSTAFF/173971425

Spate of Data Suits Highlights German Privacy Debate
Deutsche Welle - Germany
... at the Federal Constitutional Court are expected to hand down a
decision before the end of April on the controversial practice of
data-retention. ...
<http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,2144,3188889,00.html>

Commissioners looking to Cornerstone
Tiffin Advertiser Tribune - Tiffin,OH,USA
"I think there is a lot of value there for our records storage."
Bridinger thanked Stultz for offering the suggestion to the
commissioners....
<
http://www.advertiser-tribune.com/page/content.detail/id/504430.html?nav=5010

Agencies run more than a decade late on Freedom of Information ...
The Hill - Washington,DC,USA
By Kevin Bogardus Several federal agencies are running more than 15 years
late on public record requests sent under the Freedom of Information Act
(FOIA) ...
<
http://thehill.com/business--lobby/agencies-run-more-than-a-decade-late-on-freedom-of-information-requests-2008-03-13.html

Defining `open'
Charlotte Observer - Charlotte,NC,USA
Easley's baffling misperception of the state public records law is one more
bizarre moment in this troubling episode. He was willing to fire an
employee for ...
<http://www.charlotte.com/opinion/story/536041.html>

All Aboard the E-mail Archiving Bandwagon
Enterprise Storage Forum - Darien,CT,USA
E-discovery, thanks to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure (FRCP), is one
of the biggest drivers of e-mail archiving. Now that lawyers have gotten
wind of ...
<
http://www.enterprisestorageforum.com/continuity/features/article.php/3734021

State's archives may be open less
Columbus Dispatch - Columbus,OH,USA
Her group looks at state archives throughout the country every two years. In
2006, Ohio spent less on its archives -- about $205000 -- than any
otherstate, ...
<
http://dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2008/03/14/ohscuts.ART_ART_03-14-08_B1_KB9KVQI.html?sid=101

Seneca County seeks place to store county records
Toledo Blade - Toledo,OH,USA
By JENNIFER FEEHAN TIFFIN - As Seneca County commissioners inch closer to
bulldozing the 1884 courthouse, the need for a place to store county
records kept ...
<
http://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080314/NEWS17/803140364/-1/NEWS

Data contributes to 'exploding digital universe'
MSNBC - USA
Last year, when research firm IDC released a report about digital storage,
it was titled "The Expanding Digital Universe." But this week, the
firm's new ...
<http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23620315/>

Easley lets users trash e-mail value
News &amp; Observer - Raleigh,NC,USA
Originally drafted near the start of Easley's first term, the "Records
Retention and Disposition Schedules" in place at various state departments
have been ...
<http://www.newsobserver.com/politics/story/999689.html>

EMC takes a holistic view on Information Management
Ovum - London,England,UK
Customers know volumes of information are increasing, alongside retention
requirements, availability and the levels of end customer service expected.
<http://www.ovum.com/news/euronews.asp?id=6767>

Oldest lino plant to be flattened
BBC News - UK
The company's archivist, David Muncey, told the BBC Scotland news
website:"It's always sad to see that sort of deterioration in a building,
particularly as ...
<http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/edinburgh_and_east/7294583.stm>

Petitions end up in permanent archives
Thunder Bay&#39;s Source - Thunder Bay,Ontario,Canada
Matt Szybalski is the city archivist and corporate records manager and he
says it gets carefully packed away in storage joining hundreds of other
petitions ...
<http://www.tbsource.com/Localnews/index.asp?cid=105741>

Actress Diane Keaton puts images of Fort Worth on display in New York
Fort Worth Star Telegram - Fort Worth,TX,USA
About 8000 prints turned up at the University of Texas at Arlington, which
also holds the Star-Telegram's photo archive. Library archivist Brenda
McClurkin ...
<http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/528910.html>

UCLA workers snooped in Britney Spears' medical records
Newsday - Long Island,NY,USA
UCLA Medical Center is taking stepsto fire at least 13 employees and has
suspended at least six others for snooping in the confidential medical
records of ...
<
http://www.newsday.com/entertainment/news/celebrity/ny-etbrit0315,0,6245870.story

UCLA workers snooped in Spears' medical records
Los Angeles Times - CA,USA
Housekeepers, for instance, would not have access to electronic medical
records. Nicole Moore, lead organizer for the American Federation of
State,...
<
http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/news/celebrity/la-me-britney15mar15,1,3988878.story

Michigan Abortionist Tosses Patient Records, Aborted Babies into Trash
CitizenLink - Colorado Springs,CO,USA
She found patient medical records, hazardous waste -- and aborted babies.
Medical waste -- which, by law, includes the human remains of preborn
babies -- is to ...
<http://www.citizenlink.org/content/A000006816.cfm>

Iron Mountain Chooses IBM Software to Power Its Digital Record ...
CNNMoney.com - USA
"Combined with our physical document management and imaging capabilities,
we can offer customers a true lifecycle solution: we can manage the
physical ...
<http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/marketwire/0375119.htm>

Paper records' days are numbered, but digital data still poses big ...
Byteandswitch.com <http://byteandswitch.com/> - New York,NY,USA
The hospital, which already has an electronic medical records system from
MediTech for its more recent data, is also on the lookout for a
state-of-the-art ...
<http://www.byteandswitch.com/document.asp?doc_id=148443&WT.svl=news2_2>

TV archive explains restricted video policy
The Envelope - Los Angeles,CA,USA
Karen Herman, director of the Archive of American Television, has kindly
responded to our kvetch about how its in-depth video interviews with
TVlegends are ...
<http://goldderby.latimes.com/awards_goldderby/2008/03/tv-academy-why.html>

A Note About the Bush Library Contest
Chronicle of Higher Education (subscription) - USA
The Chronicle has received a few phone calls and letters from people who
say that it is unfair to hold a contest for the George W. Bush Presidential
Library ...
<
http://chronicle.com/blogs/architecture/1864/a-note-about-the-bush-library-contest

--