From:
John James O'Brien <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2008 10:19:56 +0800
Hi Carol -

In hiring, I have always been impressed by efforts to contribute and
gain through volunteer service: it shows commitment and initiative,
and has the direct advantage of experience in specific work that can
be difficult for students to gain.

Students might find a charity or volunteer organization that fits
their interests and values to offer assistance in the RIM domain.
Sometimes the organization is grateful for volunteer assistance that
tackles work that has not been framed within an RIM governance model
and, therefore, somehow never gets done.  Having served on several
non-profit boards in the social service arena, I can say for sure
that the RIM need is great and the available RIM resources often non-
existant!

Good luck to your student!

Cheers,
John