From:
Gretta Thorson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 3 Apr 2008 13:54:03 -0400
All have had very good advice.  I would also take one step back to see the
bigger picture.  How sure are you that the backup tapes are not currently
the record archive strategy?  If the records do not exist elsewhere, and
need to be retained past the 30-60 days some have recommended, then a
sound record archive strategy needs to be developed and implemented BEFORE
all the old backup tapes are blown away.

I absolutely agree that backup tapes should be used solely for disaster
recovery and limited to very short retention periods.  But don't assume IT
or management uses it just for that purpose, e.g. the fat-fingering the
delete key that was mentioned.

Gretta Thorson

These views are derived from my personal experience and opinion and are
not a representative of my employer.