From:
Gerry McFatridge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Apr 2008 11:49:12 -0400
Hello Gary,

I work for a department of a Virginia municipality and as such we follow
state mandated retention schedules.

Web sites are classified as an electronic document (duh) and thus are
part of schedule #GS-23. There are about a half dozen series in that
schedule specifically for web pages and GS-23 pretty clearly spells out
what we need to capture (or not) and for how long.

Here's a link in case you care to read it:

http://www.lva.lib.va.us/whatwedo/records/sched_local/GS-23.pdf

The vast majority of the items on our departmental intranet and internet
sites are documents (policies, construction specifications, standard
details, water quality reports, etc.) which are already filed as records
so we don't treat the web pages that merely link to those items as
records themselves.

A few sections of our intranet are drawn from various SCADA, lab or GIS
databases. We just keep those databases backed up as required by other
applicable schedules or our own internal retention schedules. We don't
try to capture those web pages per se (though we probably should just
take an occasional screen shot to capture the look of the page).

For pages on our internet site that are just informational and unique to
the site a screen shot is taken and filed.

Back in the old days (1995-2003) when I used to do our web design and
development I used to also make an annual copy of all the files that
made up our site. In those days our site was created/maintained manually
and I had easy access to the files via ftp. I would copy all the files
and tarball them and burn to a cd or two. That approach allowed me to
also capture the html and styelsheet files themselves.

Nowadays, our sites are managed by our main IT department via content
management software (we use Vignette) and I can no longer snag our
departmental files. I do not really know if those IT folks are making
backups other than their routine server backups.

Gerry
Virginia Beach, VA